Thursday, January 04, 2007

Some extra effort, please?

It's been a long time, since I last posted. And just for a quick update, basically I have a girlfriend who's been great to me and who I have been spending a whole lot of time with, hence my absence from writing. As for this post, well it's going to be a bit of a rant with some insight hopefully.

As I stepped out of the subway train and made a dash for the stairs, I stepped onto an unseen ketchup packet on the floor, which squirted out and onto my other leg and shoe. I realized this when I reached the top of the stairs. There my anger began to well up about how inconsiderate people have become and how they don't even think twice about the repercussions of their actions. I fought down this anger, made it to my Tae Kwon Do class where I cleared my head. Afterward I decided to write my thoughts.

I was just telling my girlfriend how I believe in karma and that I try to do my best to do good things for people. Selfless acts. I don't expect anything in return, I just hope that somehow my good act will help that person do something good for someone else and so on. This is in the hopes that one day when I am in need that someone will be able and willing to assist me in the future when I need it most. Do people even realize that acts of good can propagate a better life for everyone? And that selfish acts can make the world even more miserable even for themselves?

Let's take a selfish or "bad" act. Litter is a good example. Let's go with what happened to me. Someone dropped a packet of ketchup on the floor and didn't pick it up. I step on it, not seeing it, and it pisses me off and distracts me. In my anger, distracted I walk through a door and don't hold it for the person behind me. They are now angry and have less self-control and push a person out of their way who was walking slowly. That person angered by the rudeness of the push dropped tissue. The tissue tracked by passersby is now outside and carried by the wind and sops up some oil from the street. The wind blows it against someone's clean new coat and ruins it. You see where I'm going with this.

Let's take a selfless or kind act. Someone dropped a packet of ketchup on the floor and they pick it up and discard it in the trash. I walk past all this and to a door which I hold for the next person. That person walks around the slow pedestrian who was blowing his nose. The person blowing his nose discards the tissue in his pocket until he finds a proper place to dispose of it. You see what I mean.

The simple things like, "Good morning!" and "Thank you!" are easy to do, but most people just keep silent. I say "Thank you!" to my grocery cashier, even though they never say it to me. We can't let ourselves get into a miserly state. Put a little extra effort in what you do and say. It's not just courteous, it's to better the world of everyone around you so that they may in turn do the same for you! To expect courtesy, when you yourself haven't been is just selfish.

I make a game of it. I count how many times I'm kind and courteous to others, before I do something rude or selfish. Then I try to break that. You would be surprised how often you break your stride of being kind when something goes wrong. Focus and let it go, just remember the world can be a better place, and only you can make that happen. Good day to you all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home